Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Activity 3 - Include Site Feeds into personal Blogs and Blog Reflections

2. Briefly explain on lessons learnt from this practical via your EIR Blog (and twitter):
.
a. What benefits do you get when using different search facilities to search for resources related to your topic?
.
The benefits we will get is of course a less repeated and broader range of search results, however this is not really true. Firstly, today I have learned quite a bit of new search facilities like Metacrawler, Mamma, Yahoo Directory, and Galaxy. Initially, I thought Metacrawler and Mamma was cool as they actually searches the databases of multiple search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, and Ask Jeeves. However, they disappointed me as their list of search results was mediocre as compared to Google's results of 8, 800, 000. If Metacrawler/Mamma searches Google databases too, why did their search results amount to 70 plus only? Secondly, some of their results were repeated and can be found by Google's search engine too. Moreover, their search results was more mainstream (Mainly about tsunamis and not specific towards my topic of the effects of tsunamis on society).
.
b. How do you feel about using site feeds in your Blog?
.
Site feeds is kind of useful. It allows me to see the latest updates of my classmate's Blogs and a preview can also be seen, which allows me the option "to further continue or not". Moreover, site feeds is very easy to maintain on a long term basis as its not like email subscription, where you will receive multiple emails now and then, which proves a hassle to some one's crowding email inbox.
.
c. What do you like best about collaborating on Wiki with other students who share similar research topics as you?
.
I am able to see and learn from what they post, and from there, I will take care to not post similar stuff as it will be deemed not useful to have the same pieces of information. If the other students or I myself post something that is inaccurate, we can freely edit each other's information.

No comments:

Post a Comment